Elokuvallisia huomioita maailmalta 17.05.2013 – 18.05.2013
Elokuvallisia huomioita maailmalta 9.05.2013 – 13.05.2013
Elokuvallisia huomioita maailmalta 10.01.2013
- Here Is What Happens When You Cast Lindsay Lohan in Your Movie [The Canyons] (NYT Mag) –
- Star Wars Barrel Organ Made of 20,000 Lego Bricks – We took the iconic Star Wars Main Theme, rearranged it and translated it into a matrix – the constrution blueprint for the organ. Then, we took the four most famous Star Wars worlds – Hoth, Tatooine, Endor and the Death Star – and built them on to the barrel, accordingly to the musical composition. When the organ is turned, the bricks touch mechanical sensors – these strike the keys of a built-in keyboard and play the Star Wars Main Theme.
- What Nixon Saw and When He Saw It –
Elokuvallisia huomioita maailmalta 24.12.2012 – 26.12.2012
- The Campy TV World of Ryan Murphy – what is appealing about Murphy’s shows: his Tourettic impulse to offend, even in the midst of the sweetest love story. Camp originated as a private language, in an era when survival as a gay man meant learning to break codes—of male and female behavior, of normality and status. Murphy has taken this vernacular of the closet, and bent it, hard, toward an era of outness. It’s a mighty queer gambit, and one that aligns Murphy with a subset of gay showrunners whom I’ve rarely seen lumped together in critical conversation, perhaps for fear of risking offense.
- How The Film Class Of 1998 Has Fared – Wrote Sarris, “Throughout the sound era, the forest critic has been singling out the timely films and letting the timeless ones fall by the wayside. Unfortunately, nothing dates faster than timeliness.” He was writing in 1968, but not much has changed.
- NYT: Jerry Seinfeld Intends to Die Standing Up –
Elokuvallisia huomioita maailmalta 30.09.2012 – 1.10.2012
- The wayward charms of Cinerama – For the most part neither Smilebox nor digital restoration has removed the peculiarities that, perhaps perversely, fascinate me about this unique format.
- David Simon on Treme (Salon) – "I have very little threshold for melodrama. Probably too low to not get kicked out of television at some point."
- Lynn Hirschberg on Quentin Tarantino (NYT Mag, 1997) –
- Xan Brooks’s interview with the anxiously defeatist Leos Carax – Perhaps it’s the fate of all enfants-terribles to burn too brightly and then wink out.